Friday 7 September 2012

Interview with a Curly Girl... Kadian

If you remember I got really really excited when I found Ace Your Face, well I've managed to get an interview with the owner of the website and a beautiful head of natural curls...

Kadian




Tell us  a random fact about yourself?

I speak a bit of Hindi. I actually used to be more fluent, but haven't used it much since graduate school. If you don't use it, you start to lose it. However, I can still read and write in the language pretty well. I love going into Asian shops and picking up bits of conversation, especially since they usually think I have no idea what's happening. The next language I'm dying to learn is Japanese. I like the way my mouth feels when I form the words. I think the language sounds kind of sexy.


Hair Story

Tell us a little about your hair, have you always been natural or did you transition to natural?

This is the second time I've decided to go natural, but this time it's for life. My mother relaxed my hair when I was 7 years old because she thought it would be easier for her to deal with. My mother has never been patient with her own hair, much less mine! I gave no thought to the benefits of being natural until I was 15. My mother exerted great control over ever aspect of my style (as most parents do), and would tell me when she disapproved of an outfit I put together, or my self-styled hair don'ts--as rare as it was for me to do my own hair. So, I didn't really explore different aspects of my own sense of style until my mother was incarcerated during my teen years. With no drug money to pay for salon visits, I was figuring out my hair for the first time. Relaxers became less frequent. Seeing my actual hair texture growing out of my scalp was amazing to me! It was soft. It was wavy. I wanted more. "Transitioning" was not in my vocabulary. I let my hair grow for about 6 months before getting it cut into a 2-inch TWA at the Hair Cuttery in late 1995. I was  16.

I remained natural for 10 years, but didn't have a good system for dealing wit my hair beyond hair gel, Pink Lotion, and JAM (the greasy gel). My hair grew long at times, but was broken off in many spots. In 2005 after earning a masters degree and preparing to enter the "professional" world, I decided I was over being natural, and so relaxed my hair again. I don't regret the nearly 5 years I spent with relaxed hair because my hair regime remained simple: regular hair cuts, applying heat only once per week, wrapping my hair at night, etc.). 

What inspired the change?


On a visit to the UK (before moving here) in summer of 2009, I saw a Matalan billboard featuring a model with huge natural hair. I was so envious until I realize, "hold up, my hair can do that!" So, again, I didn't know about "transitioning" and did zero internet research.  

What were the reactions of otheres around you?

Because I didn't have two visible textures on display (blowouts and flat ironing), people didn't have anything to react to. However, once I cut my hair off to super short levels, a few people had a problem--all of whom are black. My grandmother's problem was the short hair, not the natural texture. Funnily enough, a few years ago she went natural with super short hair! One of my friends--when she first saw my haircut--said, "What the hell did you do that for?!" The thing is that she too is relaxer free, but gets Brazilian blowouts all the time so that she never has to deal with her texture, which is actually a really loose curl. I don't get it. My white co-workers were fascinated and very encouraging. But generally, it was no big whoop for me to go natural. 

How did you transition and what was your routine? (How did you manage the two textures?)

 I did nothing special to manage my two textures. The only thing that I did do was tell my hair stylist of my plan to go natural and cut off my hair. He was a Dominican prone to fabulous (but sometimes damaging) super straight Dominican blow-outs, so he became a little more cautious in handling the heat he put on my hair. Other than that, he was very supportive in his limited knowledge of natural hair. I BCd in January 2010, and discovered YouTube and hair forums later that year.  

Styling


Do you have a signature style? Do you do protective styles?

I'm kind of boring. I don't have any cool Janelle Monae-type signature updos or anything. I'm fond of twist-outs, chunky braid outs, and in the winter up-dos and micro twists. It gets on my nerves being in my face, especially when I'm wearing makeup.

I definitely do protective styles! I did my hair in micro-braids which I wore for 2 months, and in the winter, I do a lot of two-strand twists. I'm currently working on some cool bun styles for when I just want my hair off my face. That video might be up on YouTube by the time this goes up. lol. 
Do you have a current regimen to care for your hair? If so, are you happy to share?

Yes! Not washing my hair for 2 months while wearing my micro braids proved to me that I didn't need to wash my hair every week. I use Shea Moisture Organic African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo every 2-3 weeks. I co-wash once in between and spray water on my hair every couple of days and seal with avocado oil or shea butter to retain moisture. At least once a month, I use a greek yogurt and ACV protein mask on my hair before washing it. The bonus is that it helps detangle my hair before washing it so that I just don't even bother detangling after putting conditioner in. 

I co-wash/condition with  Herbal Essence conditioners, then use Tresseme Naturals conditioner as a leave-in before doing most of my styling. 


What are your favourite products? How do you use them?

Recently, I made a YouTube video addressing this very topic. You can check it out here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZYhsw9NF7M 

How do you combat dryness/single strand knots or any other common problems?

Dryness has always been my number one enemy! I think my lack of attention to moisture on my first natural journey was the culprit of so many broken sections of hair and split ends. Now I know that water is life to my hair! I use a spray bottle on my scalp, which helps to keep new hair moisturised and in good shape as it grows out and becomes old hair. I spray the rest of my hair with water, smooth the strands using the "clap" method then do large, loose two-strand twists or braids to protect my hair at night. Also, I always sleep on a satin pillow and cover my hair at night. 

As for SSKs and split ends, When I'm relaxing on the couch, I investigate those suckers and cut them out. Keeping your hair as moist as possible, and protecting your hair from friction (rubbing up against a sweater, for instance) are some of the keys to diminishing SSKs and split ends. You can't avoid them all together, but you can limit them. 


You




What is your favourite thing about being natural?

Options! I love that I can create so many different kinds of textures and styles with my hair simply by braiding, twisting, pinning or adding heat. It's the best of both worlds. Also, there's an indescribable sense of freedom that I feel wearing my hair natural. It makes me feel a little bit more brave.  


Do you have any advice for new naturals or those currently transitioning?

My advice is to be patient, and to take advantage of the wonderful resources that are now online. Even five years ago, all these resources were not here, so we are very fortunate now.  The other thing I would advise is to document your journey on video, or in pictures, if you can. You'll be amazed at how far you've travelled when you look back! Lastly, new naturals are prone to product junkyism because there's so much to explore! It can get expensive. Try to buy tested or used products that didn't work for other naturals. Just because it didn't work for them, doesn't mean it won't work for you. 

Tell us about Ace Your Face?

Ace Your Face (http://aceyourface.co.uk/ ) is a beauty blog that focuses mostly on makeup, skincare and natural hair (I upload all my YouTube videos here too). I do not bother with trying to be too trendy or constantly chasing new products that have come out, unless I'm genuinely interested. There are a thousand beauty blogs and natural hair channels that do that. I show makeup looks, product face-off reviews, and de-mystifying common beauty issues (e.g. how to do your brows, tight-lining your eyes, transforming 1 lipstick shade in to 8, how to wear eye shadow in different ways). Starting in January 2013, I'll be doing natural skincare and beauty workshops in the Birmingham area, so stay tuned to the AYF blog for that. 

What about Natural Hair Meet-ups in the Midlands?

The Midlands Natural Hair Meetups (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Midlands-Birmingham-Natural-Hair-Meet-up-UK/102152729863178 )started in 2011, so it's been running for two years. The first year, it was organized by three women, including myself. This year Lorien Haye organized it herself, but I participated with a beauty demonstration and q&a session. We started the Midlands meetup because there weren't any, and we didn't want people to think that London was the centre of the British natural hair universe :). The next meetup will take place in the spring, usually in May. The best place to get updates is on the Facebook page.  



Can we contact you? Website, blog, email address, twitter etc :)

I love hearing from people! For some reason, people are more apt to send me private messages using my website because they can be more personal in their requests/questions. The whole reason I do Ace Your Face and YouTube is to share with people, to provide a useful service. So, yeah, connect with me in whatever way you prefer. Here's how to reach me:

Web: http://aceyourface.co.uk (use the contact form to email me)
YouTube: whatgetsonmytits
Twitter: @kadianpow or @AceYourFaceUK (I might get rid of this and just use @kadianpow. I'm way more active on that one)
Instagram: luddite_in_training
 

Anything else you want to say...?

Thank you for asking to feature me on your blog! I continue to be humbled by people being so supportive.

No comments:

Post a Comment