Sunday 2 September 2012

Big Brands Jumping on the Natural Hair Wagon



Is it just me, or are there looooads of product lines now catering for natural and transitioning hair? I mean LOADS! And some are even in the UK!

I love this! 
But I'm secretly a little sceptical about some of the lines and feel like some brands are jumping on this natural hair hype... Part of the reason I went natural was for health thus I am very conscious of what I put on my hair and skin so although I want a product that will moisturise and add hold, and I also want it as natural as possible... This is where I think some of these lines are going wrong, I mean the products look like they may do what I want them to but I'm not really sold on some of the ingredients. I don't want something that is going to cause my skin to break out in a rash or give me spots :(

Nonetheless there are some I really want to try and others that I don't...  

Cantu Shea Butter Naturals Line




Source


I've been a fan of Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in  conditioning repair cream for a long time now. It's not always a regular feature in my regimen but I've always found it great for slicking back my pony, or adding definition to my curls. This is why I'm SO exciting that they have a naturals line. I'm not 100% on the ingredients in the line (fragrances seem a little high up the ingredients list o_O) but the repair cream defined my hair really well and wasn't too heavy. However, I alwasys felt it could have been a little more moisturising so I'm clearly hoping the Cantu Shea Butter Coconut Curling Curling cream will do all the wonders of the repair cream and be more moisurising to boot. Wishful thinking? This is my wishlist ha!

There's also a twist and lock gel, curl activator cream, shine and hold mist, deep treatment masque, and hair lotion. 
I can't wait to have a proper look at them, especially the curling cream & twist and lock gel, but it looks as though I will have to wait as the only places I can find them is Amazon USA and Walgreens USA (and have no idea if they will be in the UK as the Cantu web page is being re-designed at the moment...).




Beautiful Textures Line

Source
In all honesty this shouldn't even be on my wishlist as I have already bought and tried two items from this line - review coming up.
I'm not a fan of the really bright packaging and think it looks a tad tacky but I have to admit the products look promising - the ingredients also look really good, most of the products have an oil quite high up in the ingredients list - the tangle taming conditioner (which I bought!) has Argan Oil as the third ingredient -can't be bad right?!
The moisture butter also looks interesting... I like things that promise moisture as dryness is bane of my (hair) life. Among other things lol.




GroHealthy "Nothing But" Line 

Source

The marketing of this product line really really got me, I thought these products would be full of great natural ingredients with none of the rubbishy stuff.  I searched high and low for these and then when I finally found them I was longer interested. I am generally a fan of GroHealthy and SofnFree but with these I felt a little let down. I didn't understand the ingredients list for one, and considering the line is supposed to be "nothing but" the products didn't really appeal to me. I'll stick with the SofNFreeNPretty line instead.




Organic Rootstimulator Curls Unleashed


Source

 When I discovered this back in May/June times I wanted it straight away, but again I feel a little let down by the ingredients!  And the price, I hadn't expected to pay £9.99 for ORS products as they are usually a little more pocket friendly, ha. I'm still itching to try the curl creme but as I don't yet try wash and go's I'm going to wait...


Thoughts:
Sometimes I wonder whether these products are truly better suited for natural hair rather than products thats aren't geared towards natural hair. I can understand the curly gels and puddings but what about the moisturisers, are they actually any different to another moisturiser by the same brand but doesn't have "For Natural Hair" on the front?
I've been toying with using more natural products are a long while now - using things like natural butters and oils instead of shop bought products, but sometimes my inner product junky gets the better of me and I find myself in hair and beauty shops bit 10 items in my basket and no space on my bathroom shelf!

Have you tried any of the above? Let me know your thoughts :)




No comments:

Post a Comment