Thursday 9 August 2012

Eczema woes...

My Eczema is getting worse.


This is highly frustrating seeing as I'm finding it super difficult to get an appointment at my Doctor's Surgery, add to that the fact the receptionist who works there is absolutely horrid; I'm in a bad mood.

However, my appointment was (finally) made for 2 weeks time, during which I'm sure my eczema will continue to flare up and take over every inch of my skin... I need a strong cream -  something anti-inflammatory to reduce the itching and redness but also need something to moisturise my skin. Possibly may need something to combat infections as my skin is getting very sore and as some area's are open I'm worried they may get infected.

On one hand I think I rely a little too much on stronger steroid creams and would love to be able to manage just with a natural moisturiser. Currently my eczema is behind my knees, on my ankles, wrists and elbows, and it's also appearing on the joints of my fingers. I'm used to having eczema behind my knees and elbows as that was the first place it sprung up when I was younger, but I did not have it on my hands! So, I'm not sure if it is a reaction to something (stress reaction or allergic reaction) but I'm going to try and monitor what products I'm using and my skin's reaction to them.

My Mom has suggested using a sensitive body wash rather than those with fragrance and other additives which made me really think; I cut out using sodium laurel sulphate in shampoo's as I felt it was too harsh for my hair, but reading some of the labels on the shower gels in my bathroom I've realised they are in those too! If it's too harsh for my hair I can almost guarantee it will also be too harsh for my skin! I don't think this is what is currently causing my skin to flare up as I've used fragranced shower gel for a couple of years but I'm sure this doesn't help.

So what am I going to use instead? Not completely sure yet.



I have no idea what to use as an alternative to my steroid cream, but I've had a look at African Black Soap as a natural alternative to my usual shower gels. Organic fairtrade African black soap is apparently full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants which is good for skin and won't strip away natural oils. I'm not sure if they are all made from the same ingredients but I have seen quite a few that contain shea butter. I tried shea butter a while ago and I wasn't 100% sold but I am willing to give it another try :)

If you've tried it, leave me a comment :)


No comments:

Post a Comment